Veniard Dyes Tube
Veniard Dyes Tube come in a massive range of colours and are a hugely popular fly tying product.
Specially prepared for dyeing feathers, furs, wool etc. The Dye comes in a sealed container with full instructions. A very popular seller.
Instructions for using Veniard Dyes Tube:
- First clean the feathers by soaking in any good detergent or a quality soap powder for a few minutes. Note: Waterfowl feathers need to be soaked for considerably longer, allowing penetration of the natural oil coating.
- Rinse in cold water.
- Dissolve approx. a quarter of a teaspoon of dye in approx. a litre of boiling water, and stir well until completely dissolved, then add one table spoon of Acetic (if available) or vinegar to fix the colour. Black & all other dark shades should have a much stronger dye bath with more acid or vinegar.
- Put in the feathers to be dyed and return to simmer, while keeping the plumes moving all the time.
- Most dyes are a mixture of three colours, and it is essential to allow time for all the colours to penetrate to obtain the correct / desired shade.
- They do not fix at the same rate so withdrawing feathers too soon could result in the wrong shade. You can get a good idea of final shade by watching the quill or by holding a single feather up to the light. Remember, the feather will look a lot darker when its wet.
- Remove all feathers from the dye bath and rinse well in cold water.
- Press the feathers between cloth or paper to remove most of the moisture. Allow to dry naturally.
- When bringing hackles back to their natural brilliance, they should be partially dried. Then, blown dry with a hair dryer, and shaken gently until dry.
- Please note these Veniard Dye instructions also apply to furs & wools. Etc.
- If you are using valuable or rare materials, we recommend testing a small quantity first.